JUMBO PACK - The standard general purpose variety, excellent for both slicing and picking. The fruits are 12-14" long, about 3" thick, straight, tapered a little toward the stem end, and colored a rich green with black spines. The flesh is white, solid and crisp, with a choice flavor.
Soak seeds overnight before planting either individually in rows or hills of 3-6 seeds each. Tighter spacing and higher yields can be achieved through trellising the plants on fences or poles. Continually harvesting will keep the plant producing new fruits.
- Heirloom cucumbers do not like acidic soil!
- Frost tender. Heirloom cucumbers love warm weather.
- To get an earlier heirloom cucumber crop start indoors 3-4 weeks before last frost.
- Heirloom cucumbers are thirsty! Never let them go dry. Heirloom cucumbers are over 95 % water.
- Fertilize heirloom cucumbers with manures BEFORE planting.
- Cucumber beetles are "supposed" to dislike marigolds or wood ashes sprinkled at the base of cucumber vines.